Insurance coverage isn’t just about resolving disputes. The best approach identifies and corrects issues before they become problems. The Westchester insurance coverage lawyers at Rosenbaum & Taylor offers comprehensive services to insurance providers. This helps them save time and money so they can focus on serving their policyholders.
First and foremost, you want a law firm that can effectively handle coverage disputes. These are essentially questions about what the policy actually covers – and what it does not. Some of the most frequent disputes we see involve:
- Automobile and trucking accidents
- Construction accidents
- Employment practices
- Homeowners insurance
- Life and health insurance
- Errors and omissions policies
- General liability and commercial general liability
- Premises liability
- Professional liability
We have experience handling coverage disputes involving these and numerous other areas.
Your company has to decide whether claims will be covered under the applicable policy. If a claim is denied, a lawsuit could be filed alleging bad faith practices. These allegations could take numerous forms, depending on the circumstances in your case:
- Improper delay in responding to claims. New York requires, for example, that insurance companies acknowledge claims within 15 days of receiving them.
- Undervalued claims. This includes improperly valuing the cost of labor and supplies and miscalculating depreciation costs in favor of the insurer.
- Improperly denying claims. In New York, this can include denying or failing to adjust a claim without a valid reason.
- Misrepresenting insurance coverage to policyholders. That means intentionally misleading a customer as to what is covered by their policy.
- Failure to defend or indemnify policyholders. This means defending the insured against claims that are even potentially covered by the policy.
Fortunately, an allegation of bad faith does not automatically lead to litigation. In the event a claim denial or other practice is challenged, there are alternatives such as negotiation, mediation, or arbitration. If these fail, we defend insurers in court. No matter the route your case ultimately takes, we can help.
Disputes, of course, are the last thing that your company wants. That’s why our practice is aimed at devising preventive strategies which keep controversies from flaring up. To that end, Rosenbaum & Taylor also:
- Regularly reviews policies with our insurance carrier clients
- Advises insurers on their obligations under the policies
- Answers questions related to coverage
- Drafts and revises policy language to protect against risks
- Provides risk management guidance with respect to insurance coverage
- Helps determine whether disclaimers, or declination of coverage letters, are proper
- Explains when there is a duty to defend or indemnify claims
These and other approaches require a law firm that keeps up with changes in the law and the insurance industry. Your business cannot afford to lag behind with out of date or poorly drafted policies. Such policies expose your company to unnecessary liability and substantial costs.
Choosing the right business law firm will have a direct impact on your bottom line. You need attorneys who understand New York insurance law and are able to correctly advise your company. The right law firm is also familiar with the specific industries in which your policies operate. At Rosenbaum & Taylor, we have experience across a broad range of policies and can deliver you customized legal service.
Helping Our Insurance Clients With All Types of Coverage Issues
If your company is facing an insurance coverage dispute, turn to the team at Rosenbaum & Taylor. Our attorneys can also work with you on taking steps to keep such matters from arising in the future. Whatever your needs, we can help. We understand this complex area of law and can devise customized solutions for your organization. Reach out to us today to find out how we can meet your needs.