Businesses both large and small are increasingly relying upon their intellectual property to give them a competitive market edge. Everything from trademarks and copyrights to licensing agreements and branding can set your company apart. At the same time, there’s a risk that your intellectual property rights may come under attack by others. Competitors may even accuse you of infringing upon their rights.
For these and other reasons, you can’t afford to forego competent intellectual property counsel. Find out why so many New York businesses have a trusted legal ally in Rosenbaum & Taylor.
A trademark is a unique word, phrase, or symbol that identifies a company’s goods and services. An effective trademark sets your business apart and doesn’t confuse it with another company’s trademark. An attorney can help with:
- Selecting and developing a trademark as part of your business branding strategy
- Determining whether similar or potentially confusing trademarks may already exist
- Applying for trademark registration, including preparing and filing all paperwork
- Advising companies on their legal rights related to the usage and enforcement of their trademarks
- Registering web domain names that protect their trademarks
- Advising businesses regarding corporate acquisitions that may implicate trademark issues
- All aspects of trademark litigation, including prosecution and defense of opposition filings in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Appealing adverse decisions to the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
This form of intellectual property protects original works of authorship. If your business produces written materials, graphic designs, works of art, or other creative expressions, copyright protection is important. Although creative works are copyrighted when fixed in tangible form, copyright registration is needed to enforce the copyright.
To that end, we can assist with:
- Applying for copyright registration, including preparation and filing of all necessary documents
- Explaining your copyright protection and related legal rights
- Helping your company with copyright licensing, including drafting licensing agreements
- Litigation to enforce copyrights and defend against alleged copyright violations
- Assisting with acquisitions and other business transactions that invoke copyright matters
Companies often create intellectual property that can be licensed to third parties. Our firm facilitates all aspects of the licensing process. We do so in a way that not only protects your rights but maximizes profit. We can work with your business to:
- Prepare, negotiate, and draft license agreements, transfers, and similar documents
- Litigate license agreement breaches, including by means of alternative dispute resolution
- Defend your business against alleged breaches of intellectual property licenses
Software, Website, and Application Development
Businesses routinely design software, websites, and applications to market and sell their products and services. Collectively, these digital and electronic properties play a critical role in branding. Let us assist with:
- Creating and enforcing copyrights and trademarks in the context of software, websites, and other digital content
- Negotiation, drafting, and execution of end-user software licensing agreements
- Risk assessment and advice for code developers who use third-party tools, content, and materials
- Taking legal action to protect domain names from misuse and infringement
- Litigation and alternative dispute resolution to enforce your intellectual software and digital rights
Our Comprehensive Business Law Attorneys Can Protect Your Intellectual Property
Your goal is to not only develop intellectual property but to make it profitable. At the same time, you want your intellectual assets protected against those who infringe upon them. You could also be forced to defend against baseless allegations that you violated a third party’s rights.
Turn to the New York business law attorneys of Rosenbaum & Taylor. We understand the integral role of intellectual property in the life of your business. And we’re prepared to defend your best interests today. Call now.